Prophetic Words by Pres. Aquino

Thrice on Thursday I found myself crying over the death of Pres. Benigno Simeon Aquino III. I don't know him personally. Why was I so affected by the passing of a stranger? In the last two days, I've asked myself that question many, many times.

Tonight, as I was again pondering the question, I remembered that I wrote him a short note in 2016, just before he left office. Over a year later, I received a response from him. It is easy to assume that letters from VIPs like him are just templates. But yesterday, I saw a note from one his aides that PNoy scolded his team of writers for asking him to sign too many templated letters so I would like to think that his words are sincere and truly meant for me.

I re-read it tonight, and found myself crying. I don't remember what I told him, but I now remember what having faith in our country feels like.
"You noted that you would continue to serve with firm hope," he wrote. I regret to say that I have wavered over the last five years. But then he wrote what now seems to be prophetic words: "Find the strength to reach out to more Filipinos, to engage them and to further encourage them to heed the call to tread the straight path.... In your own journey of serving others, you will find the greater cause, that is: to be a more responsive and more committed citizen of our nation."

I am sharing the note in full. May it inspire more Filipinos.



Comments

Popular Posts