Cleaning Out My Fridge Cookfest

Another vegetarian dinner experiment tonight, just because I need to clear out some stuff in my refrigerator before they reach their Best Before dates. I needed to finish the extra eggplants and tomatoes and I realized I still have sour cream.

I Googled "eggplant and sour cream recipe," and voila! The Eggplant Sour Cream Casserole.

Eggplant Sour Cream Casserole. (Photo by Your City Promdi)


It's a pretty simple dish, very easy to make.

Cut eggplant and tomatoes into thin layers and then dice the tomatoes. Saute the onions in olive oil in low heat, then add in the tomatoes until its juices start to ooze out. Mix in the eggplants, then pour on some  tomato sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the whole thing and let simmer for around 10 minutes or until the eggplants have softened. Drop a tablespoonful of sour cream (take a photo--as I did, because the white is pretty against the red and green), and mix.

You can bake the dish afterwards, as some recipes suggest. I don't have an oven in my apartment, though, so I contented myself with just the sauteed version--which turned out really tasty.

I'm thinking if I added in more tomato sauce and lessened the sour cream as well as diced my eggplant instead of thinly slicing it, this dish can easily become a vegetarian pasta sauce. I'm also imagining that it can converted into a vegetarian lasagna: tomatoes, onions, tomato sauce, and sour cream sauteed together, then used as filling for layers of eggplants sliced along its length, then baked with lots of cheese on top. Have to try that one of these days.

If you've tried this recipe and liked/hated it, or if you think I can still make it work better--do let me know in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts